DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: downgrading an export

I am doing a job for a customer which involves taking an 8.0.5 database export and merging it with 3 SQL Loader imports, and then replacing the original 8.0.5 schema.

The problem I have is that the 8.0.5 database is on a tru64 unix box, and I'm going to do the merge on my machine at home, which is running 8.1.7 on NT Server.

Can I convert the 8.1.7 export to load into a 8.0.5 database. If I cant then I'm going to have to load and 8.0.4 version of the DBMS and I'd rather only have one install of Oracle on my machine.

Can I run the database in 8.0.5 compat mode, and will that create an 805 export?

Is there another mechanism other than export/import. The database is going to be about 10gb by the time I've finished and some of the tables have a lot of columns with several milllion rows, so creating multiple text files for SQLloader will be a real pain.

I don't think there would be any problem importing your 8.1.7 export into the 8.0.5. database, as long as you haven't introduced any new 8.1.7 features while massaging the 8.0.5 database on your NT machine (those SQL*loader scripts)

I have done 8.1.5 to 7.32 and 7.3.2 to 8.0 and 8.1.5 without any problem. My databases were on NT but I don't think there would be any problem doing it between Unix and NT (make sure you use Binary mode when transferring the export file to/from the Unix machine)

- Rajeev