DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Query execution time remaining

Query execution time remaining

I want to clear my confusion about how to find the execution time remaining for a SQL query which is still running.

My understandings are as below. Please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

P.S - In the current client place where I am working, due to license issues I can not use AWR / ADDM.

Oracle - 10.2.04
    OS - SUN & HP

S1 - If the query is executing longtime, showed up in v$session_longops then it will populate the TIME_REMAINING column for that particular operation like table scan, index scan, hash join, or sort etc but not for the whole query.

S2 - If the query is executing longtime, but not showed up in v$session_longops because of the criteria is not satisfied then we can check the query in v$sqlarea and find ELAPSED_TIME but I didn't find any thing to find how much time remaining.

Looking for your suggestions to find the actual REMAINING TIME for a given query which is currently running in the database.

Thanks,
    Vijay Tummala

Try hard to get what you like OR you will be forced to like what you get.

how on earth is the database going to know who long a whole query has left to run

cannot predict the future

Thanks Davey.

I expected like, when oracle is able to predict the TIME_REMAINING for the executions in v$session_longops then it should have some predictions about the whole query based the stats available and the execution plan it generated.

Thanks,
    Vijay Tummala

Try hard to get what you like OR you will be forced to like what you get.