DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: moving the home in 8.1.6 NT

Question

Hi,

I've installed 8.1.6 on NT server 4.0 with the default database. Then I created a repository for Designer 6.0 development and another for OEM. There is one application in the repository that's it. No one has really used the DB yet.

I found out today that I've to move the database on to another disk which will be on a raid 0 segment.

Which way should I go?
    - Restart from strach (remove oracle and re-install on the default database or home on the other segment)? (if I go that route will I have problems in choosing a new home directory in the installation?)
    - Or move the home directory on to the other partition? If yes.. how is it done?
    - Or only move the database (its tablespaces) to the other partition. how is it done?

Here I'm not concerned about performance... I'm much more concerned about the easyness of recuperating everything rapidely if there is a disk crash or NT primary partition gets corrupted...

Any advice is appreciated! Note that I'm a very novice DBA!

Regards

Sebas

I'm not clear on what you actually want to do; Move the database, Move the ORACLE_HOME, or move them both.

Move the ORACLE_HOME:
    0. do a full export of the database
    1. shutdown your database
    2. shutdown all your oracle services
    3. Re-install into new ORACLE_HOME without the default database
    4. Change the entries in your registry for the approriate SID(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/ORACLE)
    5. startup your database

Move the database:
    0. Do a full export
    1. document existing locations of all files (data, control, redo)
    2. shutdown database
    3. copy files to new location
    4. edit init.ora to reflect new location of control files
    5. startup mount
    6. alter database rename file 'old_file_name' to 'new_file_name' for all data files and redo logs
    7. alter database open
    Jeff Hunter