DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: how to tell if your db in unicode or non unicode

how to tell if your db in unicode or non unicode

I am trying to see if the database is unicode or non unicode. I thought it was non-unicode but when I run the following query:
    select * from NLS_DATABASE_PARAMETERS i get the following value for NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET=AL16UTF16.

I found that AL16UTF16 is unicode so I am correct in saying my db is unicode?

Quote Originally Posted by jayjabour View Post
    Yes, you are.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Quote Originally Posted by jayjabour View Post
    I am trying to see if the database is unicode or non unicode. I thought it was non-unicode but when I run the following query:
    select * from NLS_DATABASE_PARAMETERS i get the following value for NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET=AL16UTF16.

No, this does not mean your database is unicode.

This is NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET parameter, it's set to AL16UTF16 by default. What you need to check is the NLS_CHARACTERSET.

Regards,
    Hany.
    Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm.