DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle 8i Installation-Problem

Hi,
    I am trying to install oracle 8i(8.1.6) on a NT server. At the time of installation, I have chosen Minimal Installation. The Installation goes through fine, while the database doen't start. I checked up for the listener, which is not working.
    When I try to start oracle listener,It fails says

Could not start the oracleORACLE_8iTNS Listener service on \\ntserver.
    Error 0003: The system cannot find the path specified.

I have tried reinstalling the oracle, but in vein.
    Could any body help me.
    Badrinath

Did you do the path setup as per the preinstallaion adv on the installation manual. The issue here looks like the system couldn't see the exe binaries to start the server. check and confirm that your path had been set correctly.

Good luck,
    Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Go to NT Registry (run "regedit" )

Go to hkey_local_machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\oracleORACLE_8iTNSListener

Look for the value in the ImagePath; it should be something like --

C:\Oracle\Oracle8i\BIN\TNSLSNR

See if that directoy and that file (TNSLSNR) exists ?

You also said that the database does not start; what errors do you get in the Alert Log while starting the database ?

- Rajeev

hi rsuri,
    As per your suggession, I have made changes in the regedit, How ever, Now it tries to start , but comes out with a error
    'Could not start the oracleORACLE_8iTNSListener on \ntserver. An Internal Windows NT error has occured'/

I have not been able to open the database even through the svrmgrl(Server manager). I get the following error
    ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error.

Kindly suggest.
    Badrinath

sorry, if I caused any misunderstanding; I didn't mean you to *change* the registry settings. I just wanted you to confirm that the file exist in the directory path that registry points to.

If you had to make changes in the registry that means that you could not locate the file at the right place.

Could you let me know what the Registry setting was (before you changed it ) ?

I also need to know that contents of the Alert Log when you try to start the database !!!

- Rajeev