DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Help on optimizing a query

Help on optimizing a query

Hi,
    I'm currently working on an application where i want to dynamically create a graph of the database's schema. So I looked into what 11g offers me, and came up with the following solution:

First, I want all root nodes, i.e. the tables that are not referred by a foreign key, and their cardinality:

SELECT TABLE_NAME, NUM_ROWS FROM USER_TABLES X WHERE TABLE_NAME NOT LIKE 'DR$%' MINUS (SELECT distinct d.TABLE_NAME, d.NUM_ROWS FROM USER_CONS_COLUMNS A, USER_CONSTRAINTS B, USER_CONS_COLUMNS C, user_tables d WHERE c.table_name=d.table_name and B.CONSTRAINT_TYPE='R' AND A.CONSTRAINT_NAME=B.CONSTRAINT_NAME AND B.R_CONSTRAINT_NAME = C.CONSTRAINT_NAME);

Secondly, I want all the other tables, i.e. the one that are referred by foreign keys, as well as the tables they're referred from:

SELECT DISTINCT C.TABLE_NAME, D.NUM_ROWS, A.TABLE_NAME, E.NUM_ROWS FROM USER_CONS_COLUMNS A, USER_CONSTRAINTS B, USER_CONS_COLUMNS C, USER_TABLES D, USER_TABLES E WHERE B.CONSTRAINT_TYPE='R' AND
    A.CONSTRAINT_NAME=B.CONSTRAINT_NAME AND B.R_CONSTRAINT_NAME = C.CONSTRAINT_NAME and C.TABLE_NAME=d.table_name and a.TABLE_NAME=e.table_name
    ORDER BY C.TABLE_NAME ASC;

This all works quite well, but - it takes ages. I have a comparably small schema with 23 tables (excluding the ones from oracle text, therefore the "not like DR$" in the first query. Still, the first query takes about 5s, the 2nd about 17s.

Is there an easier or faster way to accomplish what I want? And even if not why is it so slow given the tables are really small themselves?

Thanks!

Did you trace it?
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

yes I did indeed - but I didn't understand the traces I have to admit.

This is the trace of the first statement: http://pastebin.com/ZBYHrCz9

And this is the 2nd one: http://pastebin.com/q7Vfdr0x

Thanks

5 seconds and 17 seconds is nothing

good for that kind of query

well, i guess "nothing" depends on your point of view.

I coded a small java prog that does a select * from the 3 involved tables and then does the set operations itself.

This all takes about 1 second to get the same results ... this is exactly why I wonder that oracle takes more than 20 times longer for this operation.

Agreed, I ran this on a 60 GB test db I have and it took <1s for each statement. I traced that session, got this:
    OVERALL TOTALS FOR ALL NON-RECURSIVE STATEMENTS

call count cpu elapsed disk query current rows
    ------- ------ -------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
    Parse 2 0.67 0.66 0 0 0 0
    Execute 2 0.00 0.00 0 0 0 0
    Fetch 51 0.14 0.14 0 36071 0 713
    ------- ------ -------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
    total 55 0.81 0.81 0 36071 0 713

Misses in library cache during parse: 2

Elapsed times include waiting on following events:
    Event waited on Times Max. Wait Total Waited
    ---------------------------------------- Waited ---------- ------------
    SQL*Net message to client 52 0.00 0.00
    SQL*Net message from client 52 46.71 87.82

Use tkprof on any trace files you take (IMHO) it makes reading what is happening 100 fold easier to understand. Here is a great review on tkprof and translating them: http://www.oracleutilities.com/OSUtil/tkprof.html

Jim