DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: predict the free space before shrink

predict the free space before shrink

Is it possible to predict the space that will be freed before actually shrinking the segment?
    Which dict view or dynamic performance could be used for this?
    lucky

Yes.
    Segment Advisor utility tells current allocated space, how much space is "actually" in use and how much space will be reclaimed if segment gets shrink.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Quote Originally Posted by PAVB View Post
    Yes.
    Segment Advisor utility tells current allocated space, how much space is "actually" in use and how much space will be reclaimed if segment gets shrink.
    Hmm.If so, then it must be picking this information from some dict table or dynamic performance view.
    Actually, the customer is using Solaris setup and we access DB using telnet. He is of the opinion that everything could be done using telnet.
    lucky

Quote Originally Posted by mahajanakhil198 View Post
    He is of the opinion that everything could be done using telnet.
    He's absolutely correct.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Quote Originally Posted by PAVB View Post
    He's absolutely correct.
    I thought that you are referring to Segment Advisor in Database Control. I will check DBMS_ADVISOR and see if it helps in my case.

Thanks though!
    lucky