DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Database Comparison

I am not sure if this is a right forum, but I need you openion on this issue:
    Recently I have been asked by many of our marketting people about how Oracle is better or not better compared to SQL server ??

Where does db2 stand ?

Thanks all
    Sonali

I think oracle currently holds 40% of the world market, which is considerbly a large one. This was a choice of database by big companies. The license costs more than SQL server. On the other hand the sqlserver is less predominant when compared to db2. The db2 had again been in the market fora long time. The choice of the database also depends on the type of activites you require it for. Oracle is less for the wants, and can scale to a v.good extent. On the other hand the sqlserver scalability is less, and it is presominanly for windows only env I beleive, which you might have to reboot very often. Where as oracle is available for a wide array of platforms.

So now the choice is yours :)

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Have a look

[url]http://swexpert.com/F/SE.F1.SEP.00.pdf[/url]

One have to justify from cost and system integration of products perspective, kinda application, kinda products your are using for diffrent tiers of the application.

Oracle Says One e-Business suite for everything. Why not with Microsoft SQL Server if you prefer to use IIS,NT and ASP etc.

You have to Justify your choice from different perspectives. Not just, its doing good in Market.

[Edited by sreddy on 01-23-2001 at 05:23 PM]

Thanks sreddy, this article is really great.
    Sonali