DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: rman convert database

Hybrid View

rman convert database

For 10gR2 database, if source and target database have same Endian format, we can use rman convert database to migrate database cross-platform.

My question is, convert database command will generate rman script convertscript.rman......

this script will convert all data files . When I did these migration, it is works fine.......

Someone tell me, there is no need to convert user data file. Only convert system file and undo files. So I did, database migrated without convert user data files, I checked database, it lworks fine also.

No, I want to find oracle document to support this?

Someone told me it is in oracle note. Any one know this note number?

Thanks.

xyz2000

If the endian format is the same, what is the point of using the convert command? Your first sentence makes no sense. The entire point of the convert command is switch the byte ordering within files. You would do all files if it were needed. How nonsensical does it seem to you that you would only do some of the files in a database? Ever try reading the documentation?

please read oracle docs for rman convert database. it is command used for same endian format. The diff. for transportable tablespace and transportable database is there is no need to do export/import database metadata. But rman convert database generate scripts which convert all data files. So steps for transportable tablespace is diff. than transportable database. docs say you run script genarated by rman convert database. This script converts all data files. Not just system and undo. By the way, if endian format is not same, you can not use rman convert database command at all.
    Last edited by xyz2000; 05-11-2010 at 05:03 AM. Reason: typo

Cross-Platform Transportable Database: RMAN CONVERT DATABASEThe RMAN CONVERT DATABASE command is used to automate the movement of an entire database from one platform (the source platform) to another (the destination platform). Provided that the source and destination platforms are of the same endian format, RMAN automates most of the steps of creating a new database on the destination platform, which contains the same data as the source database, and which has, with a few exceptions, the same settings as the source database.

CONVERT DATABASE ON TARGET PLATFORM
    CONVERT SCRIPT '/tmp/convertdb/convertscript.rman'
    TRANSPORT SCRIPT '/tmp/convertdb/transportscript.sql'
    new database 'newdb'
    FORMAT '/tmp/convertdb/%U'

CONVERT DATABASE ON TARGET PLATFORM also generates a convert script containing RMAN CONVERT DATAFILE commands for each of the datafiles of the database being transported. The source datafiles must be copied unconverted to some temporary location at the destination, and then the convert script must be run at the destination to actually convert the datafiles to a format usable by the destination host. A typical convert script contains commands like the following:

RUN {

CONVERT DATAFILE '/disk1/oracle/dbs/tbs_01.f'
    FROM PLATFORM 'Linux IA (32-bit)'
    FORMAT '/tmp/convertdb/data_D-TV_I-1778429277_TS-SYSTEM_FNO-1_7qgb9u2s';

CONVERT DATAFILE '/disk1/oracle/dbs/tbs_ax1.f'
    FORMAT '/tmp/convertdb/data_D-TV_I-1778429277_TS-SYSAUX_FNO-2_7rgb9u2s';

CONVERT DATAFILE '/disk1/oracle/dbs/tbs_03.f'
    FORMAT '/tmp/convertdb/data_D-TV_I-1778429277_TS-SYSTEM_FNO-17_7sgb9u2s';

CONVERT DATAFILE '/disk1/oracle/dbs/tbs_51.f'
    FORMAT '/tmp/convertdb/data_D-TV_I-1778429277_TS-TBS_5_FNO-15_8egb9u2u';

CONVERT DATAFILE '/disk1/oracle/dbs/tbs_52.f'
    FORMAT '/tmp/convertdb/data_D-TV_I-1778429277_TS-TBS_5_FNO-16_8fgb9u2u';

}

One CONVERT DATAFILE command is generated for each datafile to be converted.

My question here is :

Since source and target server have same Endian format, Why I need do run convert datafile for all data file?

Since there is no need to do export/import for meta data as in transportable tablespace, I can only run convert data file for system and undo, leave all other data file as it is? migration works fine. But this is not what oracle doc says.

For transportable tablespace, following is docs..

If the source platform and the target platform are of different endianness, then an additional step must be done on either the source or target platform to convert the tablespace being transported to the target format. If they are of the same endianness, then no conversion is necessary and tablespaces can be transported as if they were on the same platform.

So in my case, I did transportable database, so there is no need to do exp/imp tablespace metadata, if I only convert system data files, I also convert undo tablespace, it should be same like I created empty database, and did exp/imp for metadata. So for user tablespace, I can just copy file. there is no need to do convert?

It so. why oracle docs provide script to convert all data files?

By the way, I tested, I only convert system and undo tablespace, then, just copy all other data files, no convert, database is fine.