DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Datapump import COMMIT feature

Datapump import COMMIT feature

all,
    In the tradition import you have the COMMIT feature that you can use to cut down on redo.
    But I don't find that in datapump import. Is this implicit or what?
    thanks
    Looking for the greatest evil in the world? Look in the mirror.

No commit parameter is available for impdp.

Here is a nice comparison between imp and impdp http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_differen..._data_pump.htm
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Quote Originally Posted by PAVB View Post
    No commit parameter is available for impdp.

Here is a nice comparison between imp and impdp http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_differen..._data_pump.htm
    Sure,I find that COMMIT is not available...but what can be the reason for this? I still think managing your redo is important?
    Looking for the greatest evil in the world? Look in the mirror.

Well, if you were inserting via PL/SQL using a loop, how often would you commit? If you say more than once, you could probably stand a refresher on how to avoid snapshot too old errors.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuma View Post
    Sure,I find that COMMIT is not available...but what can be the reason for this? I still think managing your redo is important?
    Since I'm not "Angelo" I don't know.
    My guess is ...
    a- in 10g and upper versions we are supposed to use auto undo so no need for a "commit" workaround.
    b- imp/impdp are meant to be batch processes so a single transaction appears to be the right way to go
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.