DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: how to get connectivity between sql server and oracle

how to get connectivity between sql server and oracle

Hi all,

We are using Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.1.0.2.0 on AIX 5.2. and sql server 2005 on windows 2003. so we need to get some tables from oracle to sql server database . i intsalled oracle client on windows 2003 where the SQL Server is reside and configre TNSNAMES.ora and its pinging but when i get data from Sql server 2005 by followin navigation it gives below error.

DATABASESE---- databasename-- right click on it

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    task---- import data--- welcome to SQL Server import and export wizard---next----Microsoft OLE DB provider for oracle ---properties---the enter server name username and password . then it will give below error

ORa-12514:TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified (MIcorsoft OLE DB provicder for Oracle)

quick response will higle appreciated. thanks a lot in advance.

BEST REGARDS

Where are you running Import wizard? in server or client desktop? Try to do it in server itself.

Quote Originally Posted by younusdba View Post
    i intsalled oracle client on windows 2003 where the SQL Server is reside and configre TNSNAMES.ora and its pinging but when i get data from Sql server 2005 by followin navigation it gives below error.
    Be sure you can tnsping the target database, you may want to set tns_admin enrivonmental variable to the location of tnsnames.ora file just to be sure you are pointing to the right place.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.