DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Question about table scan

Question about table scan

See the following query:

select a from test where c=10;

Suppose we have a composite index on columns(c,a). Will all the data in this case be retrieved using index without actually referring the base table?
    lucky

have you tested it - to try and learn?

As simple 'yes' wouldn't have killed you. I asked it because I was home and it was teasing my mind and I didn't have access to some Oracle Installation. I just tested it. It is Index Fast Full Scan feature.
    lucky

it actually depends on cardinality ... optimizer may decide or not to rely on index depending on percentaje of rows expected to be retrieved.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Quote Originally Posted by mahajanakhil198 View Post
    As simple 'yes' wouldn't have killed you. I asked it because I was home and it was teasing my mind and I didn't have access to some Oracle Installation. I just tested it. It is Index Fast Full Scan feature.
    Installing Oracle on a home PC won't kill you either.

Quote Originally Posted by stecal View Post
    Installing Oracle on a home PC won't kill you either.
    haha. This is being blown out of proportion. That requires copying a dump from office system and that's a kind of breach.
    lucky