DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: extent size for fga_log$ tablespace

extent size for fga_log$ tablespace

Hi,

I'm trying to copy/move fga_log$ table from system tablespace. Could anybody share some info regarding extent size for new tablespace, please?

Thanks.

I wouldn't move fga_log$ out of system tablespace.
    I would either add space to system tablespace or purge fga_log$
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Hi,

I'm not moving fga_log$ table out of system. I'm gong to transfer all data into other table on seperate tablespace instead. What I'm going to do is create a new tablespace and do insert into every nite. I just need to find ideal extent size for this new LMT tablespace.

Thanks.

- how much data are you planning to archive in secondary place?

I'll probably calculate tablespace size about 20% larger than total expected size of archived data.

- how much data will be moved in a daily basis?

I'll probably calculate extent size as close as possible as daily or weekly load depending on size of daily load.
    Last edited by PAVB; 04-21-2010 at 11:49 AM. Reason: typo
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Why don't you just follow what the documentation shows?
    http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B...g.htm#BCGIBJDG

Hi,

Probably keep data in secondary place for 6 months or maybe 1 year or more. We'll see how it goes every month.

Daily data (8 hours) accumulate to 10,700 rows, 190 MB size and 22 extents.

What would be the ideal extent for my tablespace here? This tablespace only stores fga_log$ table. Nothing else.

Thanks.

Sorry. Paste the wrong info. Should be:

Daily data (8 hours) accumulate to 100,700 rows, 190 MB size and 22 extents.

Wait until you have processed a complete business cycle then...

Tablespace size = (daily_load * 180) * 1.2 so you are Okay for six month.
    Extent size = round up(typical daily_load) so to allocate about one extent per day.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Thanks.

Only one extent per day. Wow. Must be very big extent size then if I just run it for 8 hours I got 190 MB. My biggest extent size is 32mb only.

why not just use autoallocate and leave it alone?