DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: impdb and expdb

impdb and expdb

Dear all,
    is it required utl_file_dir parameters into init.ora for working with IMPDP and EXPDP ?

Regards,
    Dave.

UTL_FILE_DIR is no where related to export and import. UTL_FILE_DIR is not needed to set for export and import. May i know what made you to thing utl_file_dir parameters is needed for export and import?

With respect to Oracle 10g.

UTL_FILE is available for both client-side and server-side PL/SQL. Both the client (text I/O) and server implementations are subject to server-side file system permission checking.

In the past, accessible directories for the UTL_FILE functions were specified in the initialization file using the UTL_FILE_DIR parameter. However, UTL_FILE_DIR access is not recommended. It is recommended that you use the CREATE DIRECTORY feature, which replaces UTL_FILE_DIR.

Quote Originally Posted by Vijaysabari View Post
    UTL_FILE_DIR is no where related to export and import. UTL_FILE_DIR is not needed to set for export and import. May i know what made you to thing utl_file_dir parameters is needed for export and import?

With respect to Oracle 10g.

UTL_FILE is available for both client-side and server-side PL/SQL. Both the client (text I/O) and server implementations are subject to server-side file system permission checking.

In the past, accessible directories for the UTL_FILE functions were specified in the initialization file using the UTL_FILE_DIR parameter. However, UTL_FILE_DIR access is not recommended. It is recommended that you use the CREATE DIRECTORY feature, which replaces UTL_FILE_DIR.
    impdp and expdp are not export and import

expdp and impdp (Data pump) is used for export and import.
    I dont get you. May i know what is wrong ?

Quote Originally Posted by Vijaysabari View Post
    expdp and impdp (Data pump) is used for export and import.
    I dont get you. May i know what is wrong ?
    exp/imp are the ancestors of expdp/impdp ... even when they are designed to do the same thing they are entirely different.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

No need to use the UTL_FILE_DIR in export & import.

Quote Originally Posted by AnilkumarM.dba View Post
    No need to use the UTL_FILE_DIR in export & import.
    That's correct but poster is asking for expdp/impdp not exp/imp
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.