DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .dmp file restoration

.dmp file restoration

Hi,

I have come across very pitty situation where by i have two .dmp files exported from 10g database. which require to restore at test environment.

now the problem is that neither have user name and password for restore nor any other information related to database.

is there any way to restore the .DMP files on 10g database?

your timely response will be appreiciated

regards
    Irfan

import dump file you mean?
    Use an O/S authenticated account...
    sqlplus /nolog
    conn sys as sysdba
    hit enter
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

contact the DBA who has done the export or check the script used to take the export.

you can also create a sqlfile with the dump available and create the necessary table spaces required. Do you at least know the dump you have is a full db dump or specific schema??

Thanks,
    Vijay Tummala

Try hard to get what you like OR you will be forced to like what you get.

Quote Originally Posted by vnktummala View Post
    contact the DBA who has done the export or check the script used to take the export.

you can also create a sqlfile with the dump available and create the necessary table spaces required. Do you at least know the dump you have is a full db dump or specific schema??

Thanks,
    if it is a full dump, how do i create the sqlfile to re-create the table spaces needed?
    the exp was full=y from 8i
    but new database machine is 11gr1

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by fbifido View Post
    ...how do i create the sqlfile to re-create the table spaces needed?
    In unix, to extract the needed ddl to re-create tablespaces/users do this:

PHP Code:
    strings <MyDumpFile.dmp >RawDDL.txt 
    In the resulting file you will find all necessary ddl, unfortunately you may need heavily editing to get executable statements.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb

if it is a full dump, how do i create the sqlfile to re-create the table spaces needed?
    the exp was full=y from 8i
    but new database machine is 11gr1
    Why don't you start:
    1) reading instead of asking this question over and over by hijacking other threads, or
    2) put fingers on keyboard and start typing to learn for yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by LKBrwn_DBA View Post
    In unix, to extract the needed ddl to re-create tablespaces/users do this:

PHP Code:
    strings <MyDumpFile.dmp >RawDDL.txt 
    In the resulting file you will find all necessary ddl, unfortunately you may need heavily editing to get executable statements.
    i have produce the rawddl.txt file, can i upload it to you and let me know how i go about to modify this file so i can re-create the database.

Thank you.

Holy cow, quit being a weak sister and try to figure out some things on your own. Read through the file, see a tablespace name, create it on the 11g side and drive on.

Cool

i have produce the rawddl.txt file, can i upload it to you and let me know how i go about to modify this file so i can re-create the database.

Thank you.
    If it is NOT a full export dump, you would need to manually create the tablespaces, users, db_links, etc...
    Otherwise, from this text file you got, search for all the 'CREATE USER', 'CREATE TABLESPACE', 'CREATE DATABSE LINK', Etc... copy/paste into editor and edit to produce the executable DDL statements.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by LKBrwn_DBA View Post
    If it is NOT a full export dump, you would need to manually create the tablespaces, users, db_links, etc...
    Otherwise, from this text file you got, search for all the 'CREATE USER', 'CREATE TABLESPACE', 'CREATE DATABSE LINK', Etc... copy/paste into editor and edit to produce the executable DDL statements.
    it is a full dump. but my dump was from oracle 8i, will the commands work?
    So all i need to do is copy all the lines that start with 'CREATE' and pace it into a empty file with the .sql extension , right?

like how it is a full backup, why can't oracle 11g re-create everything?