DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duplicate database on different host

Duplicate database on different host

Hi All,
    I have taken rman backup on /u01 from primary database.
    Now i want to clone this database on a different host.
    I have copied the above backup to /u02 on the new host.
    Now, to which rman repository should i catalog the backup copy on /u02 and also, while i create the duplicate database on new host, should i connect to rman catalog having the backup info on /u01.

Please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

regards
    anandkl

just look at the documentation for cloning a database, it's all in there

Hi
    I looked at the documentation. Most of them explain about backup location being the same on primary and clone db host.

If you dont mind can u please point me any link that has explanation from my request.

Thanks in advance.

regards
    anandkl

Oracle® Database Backup and Recovery Advanced User's Guide
    10g Release 2 (10.2)
    Part Number B14191-03
    http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B...2.htm#i1006532
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Hi
    I went through the doc in the link you provided, and found the below.

"Also, you must have RMAN backups of all datafiles available and a control file backup that is usable as a standby control file, and those backups must be accessible by the standby instance under the same name".

My issue is, i dont have the same directory structure on new host for storing the backup and restoring the datafiles.

On the source database, my backup is on /u01 and on the new host it is copied to /u02.

regards
    anandkl

why are you reading about standby when what you want - as per your post - is to duplicate your database?
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

sorry, my mistake.
    But, it does not mention about backups being copied to different directory on the new host.

When i copy the backup to different directory, i need to catalog that backup, so that i can use them in creating the duplicate database, using RMAN.

regards
    anandkl

You should add these parameters to the init file of your target sid and Rman will put the data files in the correct locations.

Code:
    db_file_name_convert=(/${SOURCE_SID}/,/${TARGET_SID}/)
    log_file_name_convert=(/${SOURCE_SID}/,/${TARGET_SID}/)

Thanks a lot for the response.
    But, my question is not about restoring the the datafiles into a different directory structure. Its about my current backup location.

On the primary database backup is on /u01, but on the new host its copied on /u02. So, if i need to restore this backup from /u02 using RMAN, this has to be cataloged into rman repository. Hence, i wanted to know, if i should catalog this in the rman repository on new host or the primary host.
    Also, during restore operation on the new host, should i connect to rman reposritory have backup info on /u01.

regards
    anandkl

If you run rman and connect to the catalog and try to clone rman will look for the directory where it thinks the correct backup is. You can also do the restore and recovery without the catalog just run rman and connect to the instance that you are cloning to. You will need to have the control files in place and the database mounted. Then you can restore the database.

Code:
    RUN {
      ALLOCATE CHANNEL C1 DEVICE TYPE 
        DISK format '/oracle/rman/mydb/bck_20100323';
      RESTORE DATABASE;
      RECOVER DATABASE;
    }