DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how many databases one RAC can have? any limit?

Quote Originally Posted by hrishy View Post
    If 43 databases were single instance database that would have been okay
    Really?
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Hi Pavb

If o/p can consolidate 43 databases into a single instance and make 1 database and then have RAC and use services he should be okay.RAC in my opinion is great when you can consolidate databases and use services to isolate applications

If you think otherwise please elaborate here .

currently i am in a enviroment where management for cost saving reasons has decided to run 3-4 instances on a 3 node RAC and when things go wrong its difficult to troubleshoot.

It would be great to know your thoughts and i look forward to it

regards
    Hrishy

P.S:PAVB offtopic i was curious if you would come out with book on Data Warehousing one day as i have carefully read your posts on those topics and they are quite helpful
    Last edited by hrishy; 03-25-2010 at 11:15 AM.

Hi hrishy --

I do like the strategy of consolidating several "databases" into a single instance providing performance and backup/recovery issues are worked out in advance.

Answering the second question... yes, I've being working for a while in putting together a book on data warehousing - still have to work out the storytelling format people seems to like on "Understanding Database Administration". Thank you for your kind words - I do like your postings too.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Apologies to the O/P since i am diverting from the topic.

Hi Pablo

Its great to know that you have been working towards putting together a book on datawarehousing.

It would be great if you can share the topic of contents of the Data Warehousing book.

I managed to steal a glance at the contents of your book Database Administration on amazon and the book did sound interesting in the way the topic of Database Administration is approached.

It would be great to have a datawarehousing book also be technology agnostic covering DW the way its done across all RDBMSes and specalised databases like netezza.