DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: datapump import taking extremly long time

Hybrid View

datapump import taking extremly long time

I do a nightly export of our production database exporting 4 schemas (this is not part of my backup plan, so please hold off the "a nightly export is not a backup" comments). I then import the data into a database on a different server with a different OS. this DB is used for reporting purposes in case we loose conectivity to our production server. the database doesnot need realtime data. my problem is the server this used to run on crashed, so I am now using another server running Microsoft 2008 server. the import consists of 1548 tables total. 527 tables have no rows of data in them. and 7 tables are over 1 gig. all the others range in size smaller then a gig. all the datafiles are on the same physical disk. the server has 4 gigs of ram and other things running on it. I have the sga set to 500MB's. and the Ram is pretty much all used up so I don't think I can increase the sga. the import is taking a real long time. I mean over 24 hours. I thought the import would be I/O intense and not cpu or memory intense. Is that true. I can't figure out why this import is taking so long. The old server had the same ram and a slower cpu. and the SGA was set the same. an import on that server took 5 hours tops.

trace impdp to find what is going wrong in the new server.

Thanks,
    Vijay Tummala

Try hard to get what you like OR you will be forced to like what you get.

I set the trace to TRACE=1FF0300, and I am looking through the file now. It seems to be filled with the following line:
    KUPC: 14:49:25.579: Before Listen: consumer = KUPC$A_1_20100316142027 from queue = SYS.KUPC$S_1_20100316142015

any idea what that means?
    Last edited by jayjabour; 03-17-2010 at 09:13 AM.

well, no idea what it is.

however, would you mind to trace only master and worker process (trace=480300) instead of full trace (trace=1FF0300)?

Thanks,
    Vijay Tummala

Try hard to get what you like OR you will be forced to like what you get.

I don't mind at all. I appreciate the help. I figured a full trace would be good, however I am open to any ideas. let me set the trace and run it again.

ok, I did notice something different between the 2 servers. Please forgive me if this is stupid and not relivent, but the new server has SATA drives and the old server has SCSI drives. Could this be part of my problem. I noticed through OEM that during the import te I/O was just through the roof. Could the SATA drives not be able to handle the I/O of an import as well as SCSI?