Hello,

I have a requirement to create oracle database from a remote system. In this process, when the oracle_home of the client system is set to that of the server (by physically mapping the server drive over the network), i am able to connect to the server using svrmgr and start and stop existing databases.

I planned to create the oracle instance from the server and connect to it using svrmgr from the client, start the database in nomount state and execute the create database and other commands.

When i have only created the oracle instance using oradim on the server ( i did this by running oradim from the server ) and try connecting to this database using svrmgr from the client, i get the error "cannot

I think that i will be able to connect to the oracle instance using svrmgr from the client only thro SQL*NET, that is by creating an entry in tnsnames.ora. But even this fails, as using oracle client net8 easy config on Win NT, fails to connect to the oracle instance when being created.

Does SQL*NET V8 require the database to be physically available? doesn't it connect to the oracle instance as it is possible from the server ( by changing the oracle_sid parameter). Also i find no oracle_sid variable in the registry of the remote system with oracle client in order to change it.

How can i connect to the oracle instance from the client using svrmgr in order to create the database? Should i use a password file? what is it and how should i use it.

Thanks for your time
Prasad