DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Shutdown Schedule Help

Shutdown Schedule Help

I have Oracle 9i R2 on AIX 5.2. My Database is running in shared server mode (MTS).

Sometimes when I shutdown the database it shutsdown cleanly in 4-5 mints and sometimes it takes good 15-20 minutes and then I get some ora-600 errors and only way to shutdown is by opening another session and doing the shutdown abort.

Is there a way/workaround so I can do this with some script like if my database is not shutdown properly in 15-20 minutes since I issue "shutdown immediate" command it kicks of shutdown abort command?

Thanks

We used to have a database affected by the very same issue... 9.2.0.4 on AIX 5.2
    No amount of patching on Ora9i solved the issue.
    Issue got resolved once migrated to Ora10g.
    I think you can script a solution, just two cron entries.
    - First one attempts shutdown immediate
    - Second one starting 30 minutes later checks for smon, if database still up then connects and issues shutdown abort.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Quote Originally Posted by PAVB View Post
    We used to have a database affected by the very same issue... 9.2.0.4 on AIX 5.2
    No amount of patching on Ora9i solved the issue.
    Issue got resolved once migrated to Ora10g.
    I think you can script a solution, just two cron entries.
    - First one attempts shutdown immediate
    - Second one starting 30 minutes later checks for smon, if database still up then connects and issues shutdown abort.
    Thanks for your reply.

Can you/someone tell me how I can do "checks for smon/PMON if database still up then connects and issues shutdown abort"

ps -ef|grep smon

there are lot of free scripts available on the web. Shutdown abort is not recommended in production space.

However, thou I agree with PAVB resolution, when you are getting ORA-600 errors first thing you do is open SR with oracle.

Thanks,
    Last edited by vnktummala; 03-09-2010 at 01:55 PM. Reason: typo
    Vijay Tummala

Try hard to get what you like OR you will be forced to like what you get.

Quote Originally Posted by vnktummala View Post
    ps -ef|grep smon

there are lot of free scripts available on the web. Shutdown abort is not recommended in production space.

However, thou I agree with PAVB resolution, when you are getting ORA-600 errors first thing you do is open SR with oracle.

Thanks,
    why isnt shutdown abort recommended? that is a big myth nowadays

I agree with you Dave.

But if the instance is not recovered properly and not come up then that is an issue. My intention is not to take any risk in the production space and to guide the poster to open SR for any ORA-600 issues.

Thanks,
    Vijay Tummala

Try hard to get what you like OR you will be forced to like what you get.