DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Runing two installation of oracle on same Unix machine!!

Angry

HI!
    for some clustering purpose, I want to install oracle two times on same unix machine in different disk partition.Is it possible to run two different installation of ORACLE simultaneously on same unix machine.If yes what all the things I'll have to take care of?
    Thanks a lot in advance for any kind of help.
    Regards
    softskm@yahoo.com
    Sanjeev Kr Mishra

yes it is possible.....the only point of conflict might arise in the listener.ora file.

make sure the LISTENER services are down while making the second installation......the Listener.ora and the Tnsnames.ora files will be updated automatically
    Suvashish

I would just install the software in different oracle homes. That way, you would have two seperate environments including the listener.ora file. You would have to pay attention to the listener.ora and not have the same port number defined in each and each listener would have to have a different name, but other than that, you would be fine.

BTW, you could simplify your life by just using one listener if you are on the same box. When/If you go to two boxes, the listener.ora files could point to the same port and have the same name.
    Jeff Hunter

Red face

HI!
    Thanks a lot for your reply.IF I am installing oracle in two different disk partition on unix machine say /disk01 and /disk02 with off course different oracle home.Then will will get two different sets of all the oracle files even listener.ora and tnsnames.ora.So I cud not understand the updating these two files.
    If you cud elaborate upon this , that will be very helpful to me.
    Thanks and Regards
    Sanjeev
    Sanjeev Kr Mishra