DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Monitoring index usage

Monitoring index usage

I was wondering if there is a way to see when an index was used with out having altered the index to monitor it's useage? while I am on the monitoring useage topic, is there a way to monitor when an SQL profile was used? Thanks for any help you can give

no - that's what index monitoring is there for

davey23uk,
    thanks for the responce. I was affraid of that. Do you know if I can monitor the use of a SQL profile like an index?

just curious to know why do you afraid of using index monitoring. Any specific reason or any bad experience??

Thanks,
    Vijay Tummala

Try hard to get what you like OR you will be forced to like what you get.

haha, I am not affraid to use monitoring. I was affaid that there was no way to see if an index was being used without index monitoring. I just started here and wanted to know if some indexes were being used and the previous DBA did not enable the indexes to be monitored.

I would enable index monitoring for a month - or whatever your IS processing cycle is, then check for unused indexes.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

thanks, that is what I am going to end up doing. Does anyone know if I can do the same for SQL profiles that I created. I had created a couple of profiles and was wondering if there is a way if to see if they are getting used.