DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: regaring wait events

regaring wait events

Do we need to tune the wait event if total_timeouts column from v$system_event corresponding to that wait event is 0 or not increasing? Though the value in time_waited is high. The instance has been rebooted 3-4 days ago.
    lucky

it depends on the wait event.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Any comments after having a look at this:
    Code:
                                                                         Avg
                                                         Total Wait    wait       Waits
    Event                                  Waits   Timeouts      Time (s)   (ms)     /txn
    ---------------------------- ------------ ---------- ---------- ------ --------
    db file sequential read           15,425           0        121           8         2.1
    direct path read                  190,330          0        109           1        25.5
    log file parallel write               13,674          0         34           2          1.8
    log file sync                           5,922          0         30           5          0.8
    Don't be lazy and use the code tags
    Last edited by davey23uk; 02-05-2010 at 12:07 PM.
    lucky

Quote Originally Posted by mahajanakhil198 View Post
    You can copy this on a textpad to have a better look of it.
    Why would I do that when you can post it properly with wrap code tags?
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

The avg wait time (ms) for the top events are 8, 1, 2, 5. When these numbers are not very high, should I need to worry about the events? No.
    Did any user complaint about performance?

For an instance running for four days wait events suggest very little activity.
    "db file scatered read" doesn't even show on your top wait events.
    Is anybody complaining about performance? - if this is the case address the specific query user is complaining about.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Yes, there are complaints. All I am supposed to do is to find something wrong if it is there. I checked out the memory structures, etc. Everything seemed to be alright. I had a doubt about wait events. So just felt like asking it. I would collect more data on Monday and then share it.

And Yes, I wanted to represent the above output in the righteous manner but after so many attempts, I just couldn't find the right option. Thanks anyways!
    lucky

Quote Originally Posted by mahajanakhil198 View Post
    Yes, there are complaints.
    1- Identify the top five complains - start for the ones bothering management.
    2- Identify offending queries.
    3- Fine tune offending queries.
    4- Once offending queries are fixed document execution plan, cardinality of involved tables and, response time - tkprof-ed trace wouldn't hurt.
    5- Go to #1
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov