DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle apps 11 using 8i database

Oracle apps 11 using 8i database

Hello people,

Can someone help me or enlighten me with these?

I have an existing apps 11 using 8.0.5 database. I want to upgrade the existing database to 8i to use the partitioning option of it. I have read this "Interoperability Notes Oracle Applications Release 11.0 with Release 8.1.7 [ID 148902.1" showing how to upgrade the existing database to 8i. Is this the only way? Can I just export the 8.0.5 then import it on 8i?

thanks
    hanselrl

Quote Originally Posted by hanselrl View Post
    ...showing how to upgrade the existing database to 8i. Is this the only way?
    A proper upgrade requires to upgrade.

Can I just export the 8.0.5 then import it on 8i?
    Provided you pre-create target database on Ora8i, yes - you can rely on exp/imp to move metadata, data and code; this is more of a migration rather than an upgrade.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Quote Originally Posted by PAVB View Post
    A proper upgrade requires to upgrade.

Provided you pre-create target database on Ora8i, yes - you can rely on exp/imp to move metadata, data and code; this is more of a migration rather than an upgrade.
    Is there any other things to consider or to be done after the export/import? If I will use the same database name do i need to configure it on the apps side?

Thanks for the reply

hanselrl

If I will use the same database name do i need to configure it on the apps side?
    TNSNAMES.ora changes may be needed.
    Will DNS -or IP address- and port remain the same?
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Quote Originally Posted by PAVB View Post
    TNSNAMES.ora changes may be needed.
    Will DNS -or IP address- and port remain the same?
    IP and port will not changed. On the apps server, do I need to configure anything? Please check step below if its correct.
    1. Install Oracle 8i
    2. Create 8i database
    3. export oracle 8 database
    4. import oracle 8 to oracle 8i database
    5. what's next?

thanks