DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Does database go unloggable(hang) if the backup partition is filled.

Question Does database go unloggable(hang) if the backup partition is filled.

Hi,
    I am new to database field and have a query regarding backup.
    As per my understanding, backup partition getting filled cannot lead to the database login failure,unless the ORACLE_HOME path and the backup partition are the same.
    Hence,Even though the backup partition reaches 100%,it doesnt affect the database.
    The only affect could be is we dont have the backup.

Please correct me if I have wrongly interpreted

1.Can it really leave the database in unloggable or hung state????
    2.If so ,then in what all scenarios this can happen?

Thanx in advance.

depends how you do your backups

Hi,

Thanx for your reply.
    Below are the info regarding backup. I hope it gives some idea abt my question-
    1. The database is in archive log mode.
    2. The archive partition and the ORACLE_HOME path are different from that of backup.
    3. Backup is taken on everyday basis and the retention period is 2 weeks which leads to filling of backup partition.

Will the database go hung or non-logable if the backup partition gets filled??

Regards,
    Aakriti

again, depends how you do your backups - your haven't said

Cool Back it up, back it up...hurry...now...

What davey23uk may be refering to is if you do COLD or HOT backups (with or without using RMAN).

So, here are some scenarios (there may be many others):

1) If you do cold backups and they fail because 100% disk full, the backup script may (or may not) fail to restart the database.

2) If you do HOT backups and you get (or don't get) 100% disk full it would only make a difference if the backup generates enough redo that the archive log directory also get full.

3) If your backup fill 100% backup disk, and the backup fails to backup the archive logs, the archive log directory also get full.

Bottom line: the backup area filling to 100% would impact the database only if the result would either be a failure to restart database after cold backup or provoke the archive log directory also to fill up.

HTH
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb

if the database is unable to archive new logs then it will stop working until space is available. In this scenario only dba can log into the database.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Hi All,

Thanx for all your response.
    Well, now what i can understand is- Database can enter non-logable or hung state only in the scenarios as below:

1. The archive destination getting filled.
    2. The ORACLE_HOME path being the same as backup partition and the partition getting filled.
    3. If the backup script is coded in such a way that it keeps the database in backup mode or shutdown mode(in case of cold backup).

Well ,all the 3 points are agreeable.
    So, we can conclude that there is no other scenario which can leave the database in non-logable state(in concern with the backup partition gettting filled)?

Regards,
    Aakriti

Quote Originally Posted by getnami View Post
    backup partition
    I don't know what a "backup partition" is.

it keeps the database in backup mode
    This is not correct, nothing prevents you from loggin into a database that has tablespaces in backup mode.

Allow me to quote myself... "if the database is unable to archive new logs then it will stop working until space is available. In this scenario only dba can log into the database."
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Hi PAVB,

What you have quoted is right and is already listed out as point number 1.

Moreover, if the entire database is in backup mode then the database becomes unloggable as it hangs in the process of executing backup script(reason being the backup partition is filled).

Hi PAVB,

What you have quoted is right and is already listed out as point number 1.

Moreover, if the entire database is in backup mode then the database becomes unloggable as it hangs in the process of executing backup script(reason being the backup partition is filled).
    that just isnt true, if the entire database is in backup mode - then you can log in

the only reason you canot log in is if the archiveer cannot archive a log