DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: heap table

heap table

As I have read most of the times that Oracle Server stores data in the form of heap tables. One question that has always irked in my mind is that how does oracle server then handle row deletion. This is because in case of heap, only the root node can be deleted and then other nodes have to be reorganized. Would anybody like to throw some light on it or is it the case that my perception is wrong?

For information on heap insertion and deletion, you can refer this:
    http://crypto.cs.mcgill.ca/~crepeau/...29.HEAPS-I.pdf
    lucky

that is a load of rubbish, it is describing b-tree indexes not heap tables, heap tables are just a big lump - no such thing as a root node for a heap table

Quote Originally Posted by davey23uk View Post
    that is a load of rubbish, it is describing b-tree indexes not heap tables, heap tables are just a big lump - no such thing as a root node for a heap table

No that's what I read about heaps when I studied Data Structures and Programming Methodology course at my college level.
    Can you please paste here if you have a link explaining Oracle Server specific heap insertion and deletion? My all searches in google are explaining heap the same way as described by the above pasted link.
    lucky

Dave is correct, as he is most of the time.

HEAP tables are Oracle's standard tables - please research SEGMENTS, EXTENTS and DATA BLOCKS. You can find that information in Oracle's Database Concepts manual.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Quote Originally Posted by PAVB View Post
    Dave is correct, as he is most of the time.

HEAP tables are Oracle's standard tables - please research SEGMENTS, EXTENTS and DATA BLOCKS. You can find that information in Oracle's Database Concepts manual.
    Well I believe you people have extensive experience. But where is the evidence?

I have gone through the books by Oracle University but didn't find anything except this "Oracle tables are heap organized". Not knowing the heap insertion or deletion in Oracle won't kill me either but this would definitely help me in understanding certain aspects in near future.
    lucky

a heap is just a heap, nothing special just a big lump of data, you insert at the nearest available spot and delete what you want, the spec then gets reused

read the concepts manual from cover to cover

Quote Originally Posted by mahajanakhil198 View Post
    But where is the evidence?
    In the Oracle documentation perhaps? Did you research SEGMENTS, EXTENTS and DATA BLOCKS as suggested?
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

I wouldn't have asked if I had it from Oracle docs (may be my sight is not able to locate it). Anyways, I will do further reading assuming heap is only a raw lump of data and there are no specific algorithms for Oracle specific heap insertion and deletion. Though this is contrary to my understanding of heaps at collegiate level.
    lucky

Thanks guys! I almost forgot.
    lucky