DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ORA-03115 error temporarily fixed with shared_pool flush.

ORA-03115 error temporarily fixed with shared_pool flush.

We have an Oracle 10.2.0.3 databases running on HPUX11.11 - 64bit. When connecting our application we intermittently get an ORA-03115 unsupported network datatype or representation error. At this point, the application is attempting to load and is running a simple select on a simple table having already queried 7 tables apparently sucessfully.

The databases in question are all newly upgraded to 10.2.0.3 from 8.1.7 and are in UAT at the moment.

We have several other installations elsewhere, although the Oracle version there is 10.2.0.1.0, and we have never experienced the problem.

This problem occurs every now and again and we can make the problem temporarily go away by "alter system flush shared_pool". I really dont understand what is going on.

I found reference to Oracle Bug 6085665 on the internet which says that this bug occurs in Oracle 10.2..0.3 patchset and appears to be a pretty good description of our problem, but I can only find 2 references to it via Google which is strange. Is anyone else using 10.2..0.3? Is anyone out there aware of this bug or indeed this problem?

Check Metalink, that's a real dog.

I would suggest to open a SR with Oracle.

Just in case, can you set CURSOR_SHARING to "exact"?
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

pavb, thanks for the reply,

Unfortunately CURSOR_SHARING was already set to exact.

Do you have an idea what is going on here, like why would setting CURSOR_SHARING to exact or flusing shared_pool make this problem go away.
    Also if I rebuild any object on the table that raises the error, the problem temporarily goes away.
    I'll raise an SR with Oracle.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nobbyhughes View Post
    Do you have an idea what is going on here
    Yes.
    There are a couple of unpublished bugs describing the issue. Check on Metalink.
    Please go ahead and open a SR with Oracle.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.