DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Passing parameters to control file

Passing parameters to control file

Hi,
    I have to load some ten csv files to 10 different tables in a particular schema say TEST. Is there any way to automate it, instead of writing 10 different control files for each pair of CSV file and table.?
    I am using sqlldr to load the tables.

sqlldr $usrpass $ctlfile log=$logfile bad=$badfile data=$datfile discard=$dscfile

Kindly help me in this regard.

all depends on what you mean by "automate" and how complex control specs are.
    Last edited by PAVB; 01-12-2010 at 07:02 AM.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

I have some 25 input CSV files which has over 30 coulumns in each input CSV file.
    for example if i start writing control file like this ..

LOAD DATA
    APPEND
    INTO TABLE emp
    (empno POSITION(01:04) INTEGER EXTERNAL,
    ename POSITION(06:15) CHAR,
    job POSITION(17:25) CHAR,
    mgr POSITION(27:30) INTEGER EXTERNAL,
    sal POSITION(32:39) DECIMAL EXTERNAL,
    comm POSITION(41:48) DECIMAL EXTERNAL,
    deptno POSITION(50:51) INTEGER EXTERNAL

and so on for 30 coulmns then the effort would be too much to create 25 control files to load 25 tables.
    I feel it would be better if i have one control file so that i can pass the table name as parameter and call the same control file in a loop.

PS: each table has unique column names.

Got it.

You can always write a storedproc designed to write a control file on the fly; after all Oracle system views have all the info you need - providing you are loading all columns, in the same order, etc.

It would works like this...
    - Main script calls storedproc passing table-name,
    - Storedproc writes control file and exits
    - Main script calls sqlloader pointing to control file.

It wouldn't be a piece of cake but certainly a nice project to tackle; on the other hand I foresee a myriad of issues with input field lenghts and data types. Probably it would be cheaper in terms of effort to create the control files manually.
    Last edited by PAVB; 01-12-2010 at 09:28 AM.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Repeatedly?

If this load is NOT on-time load and you will need to repeat it periodically, then you may perhaps consider external tables.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb

Thanks a lot ur your quick reply.
    Since im new to PL/SQL im not aware of storedproc.
    If you could provide me with somelinks or materials it will be very useful for me..

Quote Originally Posted by anijan View Post
    Since im new to PL/SQL
    This settles it - better to write your 25 control files.

Just bing pl/sql ... plenty of documentation on the net
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov