DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about setting up RMAN

Questions about setting up RMAN

I am working on setting up RMAN and have been reading up on it. I have 2 questions and was hoping someone could give me some real life DBA experience on.

first one is, I see you can set up RMAN to backup the database directly to tape or back it up to a file and then I presume you have the file then backed up to tape. So my question is, what do most people do back up to tape or back up to a file and then have the file backed up. My situation is I am the dba and there is another team that takes care of the UNIX server and BAckups using TSM to tape. SO I would figure I would have to work closely with them if I chose to back it up to tape.

My other question is, do most of you guys set up a seperate database for RMAN, and if so do you put it on a completely different server.

Sorry if these are stupid questions, I am reading up on setting this process up, I am just wondering what experts use as a best practice.

Though I am not an expert but I would like to answer it.

1st question is not clear. You have puzzled me with language.

2nd question: What do u think how it should be? You can configure a catalog database on another server. That would be good. One catalog DB can keep backup/restore/recovery information of multiple databases. So. it's a good deal to have one catalog database.
    lucky

thanks for the reply. and sorry for the confusion in the first question.
    let me clarify,
    when doing the backup through rman do you have it automatically mount the tape and write the backup there or do you have it back up to the flash recovery area and then back up those backup set files to tape?

as far as your response to the 2nd question, I agree that having a seprate catalog DB for RMAN to store the backup information. then I am confused as to how do you back that catalog DB up?

Have u read Oracle backup n recovery basics?
    lucky

Yes

Cool Disk-it then to tape.

1) For quick recovery, the best is to have as many backups on disk as space would allow (or at least the equivalent of the retention policy configured), and have them on some kind of drive you can share or mount easily on other servers (like NFS). THEN also back them up to tape.

2) RMAN catalog is not necesary if you have few databases. The controlfile of each database will record the backups also. If you decide for RMAN catalog, then separate server and database are advised, but for example, it could share the database with Grid Control or such.

PS: The stupidiest question is that which was never asked.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb

I am only using rman for one database, I only support one prod database. So it would be ok to have the rman catalog in the database it is supporting?

will it work - yes, stupid idea yes

how are you going to use a catalog when it is in the database you are recovering?

Quote Originally Posted by jayjabour View Post
    I am only using rman for one database, I only support one prod database. So it would be ok to have the rman catalog in the database it is supporting?
    You need to be more clear with the logic.
    lucky

Cool No catalog

Quote Originally Posted by jayjabour View Post
    If it's only one database, you do not need to create rman catalog, use the controlfile instead (NOCATALOG option).
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb