Upgrade OWB 10g to 11g from Windows to Linux
DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Upgrade OWB 10g to 11g from Windows to Linux

Angry Upgrade OWB 10g to 11g from Windows to Linux

Hi

I have Oracle 10.2 on windows with Oracle Warehouse Builder on the same machine. I want to upgarde it to Oracle 11.1 (both database and Warehouse Builder) on Linux. To make it mode clear:

Current Setup on machine X
    ---------------------------
    Windows 2003
    Oracle 10.2
    Warehouse Builder 10.2

New setup on machine X
    ------------------------
    Linux
    Oracle 11.1
    Warehouse Builder 11.1

Since I am going to change the operating system of the machine from Windows to Linux, can somebody tell me how can I go about this process? I am very very new to OWB. How can I make sure I dont loose my OWB configuration. What is the best way?

Regards
    Agasimani
    OCP(10g/9i/8i/8)

It was a surprised to learn you have OCP credentials - your question comes out as unexpected in such context.

Project should be characterized as a migration rather than an upgrade - you do not upgrade when moving to a different Operating System, you migrate.

May we know how big your database is?

For a small to medium size database I would...

1- Export - either exp or expdp current database.
    2- Pre Create new database.
    3- Import - either imp or impdp

Plenty of documentation about this matter is in the net.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Thanks for your reply.

Looks like you didnt read my post properly. I am very new to OWB, not Oracle. My concern is not Oracle upgrade/migration. My concern is OWB migration/upgrade. I want to make sure that I dont loose any OWB configuration/repository. So if you can please provide me your views in this regard, if at all you know.

Thanks
    Agasimani
    OCP(10g/9i/8i/8)

Cool Migration it is

Perhaps you could figure it out by reading the fine OracleŽ Warehouse Builder Installation and Administration Guide.

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb