DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Transfer Databse between Two Oracle Servers

Transfer Databse between Two Oracle Servers

Hi,

I have been given asked to work on small project as a volunteer. I am a software developer and new to DBA site.

There are two servers available in the company. One is the Live server and other one is recovery server. Company wants to move Database from Live server to Recovery Server in very short time span incase if live server goes down becuase of any failure.

In the live server Tablespaces, Datafiles, and Control Files are being saved on external disk through scripts. At the moment Recovery server doesn't have oracle installed on it.

I am planning to install oracle server on Recovery server with the same settings as in Live server.

I like to know that how can i transfer all the data (Live server has number of tables in different schemas) from Live Server to Recovery Server and run the recovery server if anything does wrong with Live server?

Do i just need to copy Tablespaces, Datafiles, and Control Files from live to recovery server on right paths? What other files and objects i need to look after?

Thanks
    Last edited by momer79; 11-26-2009 at 11:36 AM.

this isnt true is it - a pen drive? sounds like a class project

Not a pen drive, its actually external hard drive. Script runs few times in a week which copy the files to external drive.

Please start by researching "disaster recovery, business continuity"
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Talking Backup and Recovery Basics

Quote Originally Posted by PAVB View Post
    Please start by researching "disaster recovery, business continuity"
    And also....you could begin by reading the fine Oracle® Database Backup and Recovery Basics manual.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb