DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ON WIN NT SETTING THE DIFF SID VARIABLES

Unhappy

Hi,
    Thanks in advance,
    1)I am using Oracle 8.0.5 on NT and I have two SID's like ORC0 and ORC1 and when ever I try to login to the Oracle now I am setting the Environement variable and entering into the particular database.
    Question: Is there the way I can enter into the Oracle without changing the env variable like simultaneously can i login into the databases on one NT box with out changing the ENV variables.
    2)I am using the listener service for each how do I run the two listener services at the same time. I went to the Listener.ora file and I added both the parameters but its taking only one paramert either ORC0 or ORC1.

Please suggest me in the above earliest.

Thank you,
    admala.

At a time you can have only one sid defaulted by changing registry entry. If you want, you can write a small script in windows to do the same for you. Iam not that good in NT scripting, Just giving you an idea...

[url]http://www.dbasupport.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=5698[/url]

If you are trying to connect thru SQL/Plus then you don't need to set the env variable; just provide the Host String and tnsnames.ora will take care of it for you.

If you are trying to connect thru svrmgrl (or if you don't want to provide the host string) then you must SET the oracle_sid before connecting otherwise it will connect to the default_sid set in the registry (as sreddy suggested)

As far Listener is concerned, you can add as many SIDs as you want and it will listen for all those instances.

You can use Net8 Assistant or Easy Config to create listener entries for multiple SIDs.

Here is an example of the listener.ora file --

LISTENER =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 111.222.333.44)(PORT = 1521))
    )

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
    (SID_LIST =
    (SID_DESC =
    (GLOBAL_DBNAME = orc1)
    (SID_NAME = orc1)
    )
    (SID_DESC =
    (GLOBAL_DBNAME = orc2)
    (SID_NAME = orc2)
    )
    (SID_DESC =