DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Connecting to OEM console(2.1)?????

Question

Hello Experts!

I am trying to connect to the OEM console, but whenever I open it up, it always ask that "I must have specified at least one management server.". ( I really don't know how I can figure out the management server). I am running the oracle 8i Enterprize version(8.16) on my NT server(Local Host), and install OEM (2.1) on same machine.
    Any advise or informations will be helpful for me. Thank you.

JC
    :confused:

This is how it works. There will be a repository(Management Server) where the information(nodes,databases and preffered credentials for those databases etc) will be stored. And on each database there will be an intelligent agent(DBSNMP) and data gatherer. When you schedule any job,task all the preliminary checks will be performaed in the management server and then the task will be submitted to intelligent agent which performs the task and reports back the results back to managemnt server.

either you can specify management server, if you have installed repository. Otherwise directly you can use couple of components of OEM like DBAstudio etc directly connecting database you have on the box.

Just pick up dbastudio and say connect to local database, give userid and password. It will ask you to create connection string and updates OEM tnsnames.ora.

Hope this helps. REad Documentation for the rest.

Question

Thanks sreddy!
    But, I still have problem to connect to the OEM.
    i created the repository. So, In Repository connection information, I typed username:sysman Password:oem_tempory_password,service:junghun:1521:orcl0. it looks like the repository was created without problem. However, when I try to open OEM again, it require Administrator and password. Although I tried several differents name and password, it didn't let me in. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!

Jung
    :confused:

Not much help here. I had the same problem. I tried all different passwords. Checked and recreated my repository. Did my console settings... but nothing seem to work for me either. I cannot connect to OEM using Management server.
    Sonali

If you repository has been created correctly, do this:

1. On Nt see if your Management Server & agent services are running.

2. Start Console. Use sysman/oem_temp the first time you enter.

3. Change the password and add other repositiry admins.

Nizar

Seems there is not much support even in metalink for version 2.1 on NT. All I found was this document. See you followed all the steps or you missed any.

Did you srart OMS ? or not ?

[url]http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showDocument?p_database_id=NOT&p_id=107241.1[/url]

1. Start Enterprise Manager Console
    2. Administrator = sysman
    3. password = oem_temp
    4. Management Server : Does it list any name there ? I guess not. Click the adjacent icon to add a new Management server. Add a name here (this name is actually the name of the service available in the tnsnames.ora so it should exactly match the service name; this is the service for the database that has your repository)

Let me know if this does not work.

- Rajeev

Question

Hi! ! Rajeev

Yes, I checked the tnsnames.ora file.All the host name,port, and SID were exactly same; (Host:junghun,port:1521,SID:orcl) . I also tried SYSMAN/oem_temp as ID and Password. I really don't know why it doesn't work. I am wordering that oracle running on local server still can connect to the management server?
    HELP!!!

Jung

If you are still unclear about what the management server name is, it is the host name of the machine where the repository resides. I have the repository created on my own workstation, so it is my workstation name.

Talking answer

I was as confused as you are.
    I followed these steps posted by PANDO (thanks Pando) on another thread and it helped me out. Basically, the normal installation of 8i doesn't include the "Management Structure" part. You need to use your 8i CD and load that part up.

Do this:

[by Pando]
    To install OMS get your 8i CD and install management structure part, after this instllation you will see a new service called Oracle Management Server in your services, just start it and then you can connect to that server from your console in other machine or the same machine where OMS resides.

Hope that helps!
    - Magnus