DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to create oracle database from client?

Unhappy

Hello,

I am running Oracle 8.0 Server on Win NT 4.0. My question is whether it is
    possible to create a database on the server, from a client by either using
    ODBC/BDE or directly using a suitable orcle client.

I tried this, by mapping the server disk thro network, but got stuck in
    executing the oradim and the svrmgrl EXEs from the client in order to create
    a database. Running oradim or svrmgrl from the client does not work.

I develop an application that should allow creating and maintenance of
    databases for any software, Oracle, SQL server and Sybase Adaptive Server
    Anywhere.

Has anybody tried this before. Does having a seed database provide any
    solution to this?

Please help!

Thanks in Advance,
    Prasad

Prasad

You could map the drives (Servers) into Client Workstation. Then run svrmgrl to create a database. I have not tried this option because I normally login to server, and then create a database.

I don't think that will work out .One because i tried to do a controlfile mirroring by keeping a controlfile copy in another server ..I have tried all the known tricks in the book .I did not succeed.

In your case also i think u will face the same problem...

If you are able to do pls post them...

Radhakrishnan.M

It works. From my terminal, I do shutdown/startup NT databases remotely after mapping to the drive on the server.

I didn't try oradim. I tried 'svmgr' for startup and shutdown. It works.

I think it will work after you map a shared drive. As long as you have all oracle software installed on that drive, it should even recognise oradim to create services. I really think it should work... because Oracle would not care how you are connected as long as you are not coming through SQL*Net and make a direct connection.
    Alla S. Pfauntsch
    Oracle DBA
    ========================================
    "Life is what happens while you are planning something else".

Even thru SQL*Net it works. After mapping, set oracle_home to the mapped server oracle home.

SVRMGR> connect internal@xyz
    password:*****
    SVRMGR> connected.

SVRMGR> startup pfile=C:\>....\....\initxyz.ora

PS:Service Name(xyz) should be defined in the network.

[Edited by sreddy on 01-22-2001 at 08:49 PM]

Question

Thanks for the reply. Regarding running svrmgr, i feel that it should work. But how can the oracle instance/service be created on the server from the client. Will running oradim80.exe from the client try to create the service on the client itself instead of creating it on the server?

Also, when i map the network drive, should the system path also be changed to point to the server?

Prasad

Question

Yes, i tried invoking svrmgr and it worked. I was able to start and stop an existing database and also feel that i should be able to create a database from it.

But, when i tried running oradim80 from the remote system ( the remote system was an NT workstation ), i found that the NT service was created on the remote system rather than the server.

How can i solve this?
    Prasad

did you try oradim after remote system mapped to server. Say like this.

On your terminal map O: drive to server Oracle_home say D:\>Ora816

At DOS prompt terminal

cd O:>\Ora816

and use oradim at server.

I never tried, I wanna try create a database remotely on the server. I will some time today when I get little free time.

Question

Thanks sreddy for the reply.
    Yes, i tried exactly that. I mapped the server drive over network. And ran oradim80.exe after cd o:\orant\bin. But because the EXE is invoked from the remote system, it creates the service on the current remote system. There is no parameter for oradim to specify where the server is and it seems to assume that it is the current system.

I finally created the service by running oradim80 from the server console. Now i wanted to try running svrmgr from the client, connect to the new oracle instance i just created and create the database. But i was not able to connect to the oracle instance, as it required me configure a service name using sql*Net ( oracle net8 assistant/oracle net8 easy config).
    Both of these failed to create a service name when i provided the SID of the new oracle instance. They gave errors that the SID name provided cannot be detected/recognised.

My question is, does Net8 required the oracle database to be physically created/available? Doesn't it connect to the oracle instance ( the oracle service running on NT for the database) from the client instead? Have i gone wrong in any of the steps? ( i have modified the oracle_home of the client to point to the oracle_home of the server, as this was required to connect to the server from the client using svrmgr -> using the service name ( in tnsnames.ora ) for the database in the server.

Thanks in advance.
    Prasad