DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Password File Authentication

Password File Authentication

Dear All,

In case of three data base and password file authentication I have following confusion.

1. If remote_login_passwordfile=EXCLUSIVE.

We have to create two password file for 3 database. How Oracle identified through which password file SYS's password will be authenticated? i.e. based on orapwd ? (file name of password file).

Will it always look at $ORACLE_HOME/dbs directory ? can we change that location ?

2. If remote_login_passwordfile=SHARED

Only one password files for multiple instances. If there are three instances are there. In two instances I am using remote_login_passwordfile=SHARED and in one instance remote_login_passwordfile=EXCLUSIVE. So there will be two password files. One for Shared and second will be for only one instance. How oracle will identify?

Thanks in advance.

Nirav

At database startup time, Oracle will only look for the password file in the ORACLE_HOME/dbs directory. The naming convention that Oracle will search for is: orapwSID. The SID must match the ORACLE_SID environment variable. If orapwSID can not be found, Oracle will look for a file named orapw. If Oracle can not find a orapw file you will get the ORA-01990 at database startup time.
    lucky

Thank you very much for your reply.

If there are two instances on my machine and If I want to use single password file i.e I want to share single password file for two instances.

How it will work? Is will take filename without suffix with SID name or it will work?

Thanking you ones again.

Nirav

Hi

Google for the parameter REMOTE_LOGIN_ PASSWORDFILE and lookup what it means to have the parameter set to the literal value SHARED