DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Joining Temp Tables with dblinks

Joining Temp Tables with dblinks

Joining the temp table with dblink will decrease the performance of the query?

Will joining the temp table with dblinks will decrease the performance?

Joining the temp table with dblink will decrease the performance of the query?
    My scenario is presently i am creating tables dynamically and storing the records in the tables.I am using dblinks to get the data from other tables.
    So now i want to change the procedures to use temp tables instead of dynamically creating and storing.

So my only concern is the performance.Because i saw somewhere, joining the temp tables with the dblink tables will decrease the performance.
    If this is yes can someone let me know what exactly happens when i use temp tables instead of dynamically creating them.

It would be helpful if someone respond to this immediately,because this is very urgent for me.

DBLinks are a poor performing feature - avoid if possible.

You create a "temp" table - Oracle creates a temp table for you; pretty much the same thing.

Want to be sure? test it.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Hi , thanks for the reply.

But my question is "previously i used dynamically generated tables(not temporary tables).Now i want to use temporary tables instead of using dynamically created tables.

In some situations i may need to join the temporary table with dblink tables.
    So if i join temporary table with dblink will that cause the performance problem.
    If yes, then how?

mmhh... I see. Let me clarify it.

"DBLinks are a poor performing feature - avoid if possible.

You create a "temp" table - Oracle creates a temp table for you; pretty much the same thing.

Want to be sure? test it."
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

You access dblink tables through network, its ought to be slower, whether you join it with temporary or permanent table. Why don't you first get the dblink tables locally and then perform whatever you feel like?

Quote Originally Posted by gtcol View Post
    You access dblink tables through network
    Not always the case, dblinked instance could be hosted in the same box.
    Either way dblink would perform poorly no matter what.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov