DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How to import dbf file to a Oracle table?

Hybrid View

Question How to import dbf file to a Oracle table?

Hi everyone I have a problem with this...

I've been looking in google and all that and I haven't found an answer to that question.

Yes I found a lot of programs that make that, but the thing is that I want something that makes it automatic like a package or something; something that runs every so often and import the data into an Oracle table.

Now my questions are, is that possible? there is someone here that have done that before? or even have an idea of how to do it?

By the way I'm running Oracle 6i

Please help me!!!

could you please define what you mean with "dbf file"?
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Quote Originally Posted by PAVB View Post
    could you please define what you mean with "dbf file"?
    thx, well the .dbf file its a plain file that Fox pro uses to store feature attribute data. In other words it's a file where I have my information in tabular form.

Attached is an example of it, just change the extension of the file from .txt to .dbf

As you will see its a plain text and if u open it with exel this will open perfect.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Got it.
    Your answer is SQL*Loader.
    If you are on Ora10g you may want to try External Tables which is the fancy new approach for SQL*Loader.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

thx! I have been reading about that and it seems to be cool, do u think that will work in Oracle 6i?

Oracle 6i is actually "Oracle Forms 6i" - most probably your database version is Ora9i or Ora10g - those are the versions that have the more "market share" at this time.

SQL*Loader is a proven tool, it will work just fine.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

thx this works just fine. But what I'm looking for its something that I just have to fill one time and stay running forever, something that import the data every 30 minutes to the oracle database with out me doing anything, SQL*Loader this works like that?

whats wrong with a scheduled task then