DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 80620 patchset

Hi everyone,

Here's what I did.

Downloaded the 80620 patchset to my hard drive. Unzipped it. FTP the unzipped file over to my server. Untarred it. It created a 80620 directory with several subdirectories and files.

Problem: When I run the installer, from a staging area, I select from. It will take the directory I specify but it will not let me select any files from that directory. I believe the patch should have included a unix.prd file. The only *.prd file I have is partial.prd. It will not read this file.

Has anyone run into this before.

thanks in advance
    kathy

Aren't you using Universal Installer ? I think Universal Installer should come up when you run Installer. Of course! You need to xterminal setup on unix.

Thanks for answering so quick.

I am using the original installer from my cdRom. I am under the impression I can put a patchset into a unix directory on my server and call it a staging area. From this installer I can choose FROM (its at the top) it lets me select a directory and which file to read (instead of from the cdrom). What file should I be reading? Should I have a unix.prd file? I don't.

Have you installed any patchsets on a unix system before? How did you do it?

I guess you should be having clear instructions with patch set right ? I did on 734 and 8i not on 8. You need to copy to a directory you want and untar the tar file and run the installer
    when the installer comes up pick the untar dire ctory as your staging are and from there installer will guide you.

"tar -xvf xyz.tar" will extracts the patchset xyz.tar.

I would advise you find the relevant patch notes/instructions in metalink before applying the patches.

Maybe I should go back to the beginning.

When I down loaded the patchset from Oracle to my local pc, it automatically win zipped it. Now to get it over to my server I tried to ftp the winzipped file. I get nothing.

When I unzip the file on my local pc and then ftp over to my server, ok.

Then I tar -xvf filename, several files extract, but I get this error message at the end.

tar: 0511-169 A directory checksum error on media; 6721 not equal to 6666.

Do you know whats going on here.

I guess when you tried to ftp it from windows to unix, you did get nothing just because your ftp timed out as its big in size.
    Thats the only possibility.

I would advise you to try ftp`ing back to unix and unzip it using tar utility and go from there. Mean while I will try finding the general steps/instructions some where and post the link.

This is link has step for Solaris version Intel of 80620 patchset. Use this as general guidelines for applying patch, if you can't find the instructions thats appropriate to the patch you are applying.

[url]http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showDocument?p_database_id=PAT&p_id=8382.999[/url]