DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How to Add Additional Logical Standby to Existing DataGuard Setup

How to Add Additional Logical Standby to Existing DataGuard Setup

Hi All!

Last week i just completed a Dataguard setup with two RAC DB environments, with the second RAC serving as logical standby with realtime apply enable. A happy ending, right? Please read on...

This afternoon the client just told us that they wanted a setup with multiple logical standby DBs, with the additional logical standby serving as a bystander db.

Is it possible to add one to an existing setup, or do i have to start from scratch?

Is it just a matter of

-- copying the db files from the primary,
    -- adding an additonal log_archive_dest_n setting on the primary,
    -- setting up a db instance,
    -- edit its init.ora parameters
    -- converting it to physical standby
    -- then to logical standby?

tia

Cool Cascading is the name of the game

Check out the section on Cascaded Destinations in the fine Oracle® Data Guard Concepts and Administration manual.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb

thanks B) Actually i came across that section, but didn't do much in depth reading...

What if i really need a second logical standby to receive redo logs from the primary db? The doc tends to suggest this is possible, at the expense of extra load on the primary. We may need the second logical standby as a potential failover DB.

Thumbs down Extra load.

Yes, you could set another log archive destination from the primary (on each RAC instance) and it will work.

PS: Logical standby's are NOT good candidates for fail-over, physical standby's are the way to go -- read the dataguard concepts!
    Last edited by LKBrwn_DBA; 09-04-2009 at 09:14 AM.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb

Hi,

How far is your primary and planned-standby database?
    If in the same LAN config I think SYNC redo transport will be a potential source for your primary. Or configuring a Primary database to send the redo to physical standby and configuring this physical standby to send the redo received to logical standby will be a efficient environment.

basically my boss tells me i should set it up as two logical standby's getting logs against a primary...so no more debate B)

Q: how should one set the fal_server= setting on the primary, given that there are two logical standbys?