DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: determine redo logs that will be required for recovery

determine redo logs that will be required for recovery

I need to delete some of my archived redo logs.
    Suppose I had taken a backup few days back and only few archived logs will be required in this case i.e the ones that were generated at/or after the time backup was taken and others are not of any use.

Though there are alternate ways of knowing this like first list backup and then compare this time with the first_time in v$log_history.

But is there any view in Oracle that can provide one to one correspondence between a backup taken and start of archived log that will be required if we want to recover using this backup?

v$recovery_log will contain data only if some media failure actually occurs. So, it also can't help.
    lucky

How are you taking your backups? please describe the process.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Quote Originally Posted by PAVB View Post
    How are you taking your backups? please describe the process.
    using RMAN.

But I would like to know the strategy if I had taken my backup using user managed procedures.
    lucky

Quote Originally Posted by mahajanakhil198 View Post
    using RMAN.
    rman knows.

Quote Originally Posted by mahajanakhil198 View Post
    But I would like to know the strategy if I had taken my backup using user managed procedures.
    In this case your scripts should do the work.
    Usually you would like to take note of last archive log # at the beginning of your hot backup procedure.
    This is plain shell scripting, plenty of examples in the net.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Hi

Is this a interview question ?

If you are a experienced person in IT before deleting anything you would always backup.

Comming back to your question if you use rman its very simple command because rman persists lot of meta data about its backup in the oracle database using controlfile or catalog.

If you are doing usermanaged backups then you would need to implement the same logic that rman does using shell scripts.

regards