DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Difference between physical standby database and Data Guard

Difference between physical standby database and Data Guard

Hi guys,

Today I attended one interview. They asked me a difference between the Oracle Physical Standby database and Oracle Dataguard?

Upto my knowledge Oracle Physical Standby Database is one type of Standby Database can be configured using Oracle Databaguard Feature.

Can you people calrify me on this.

Regards,
    Vijayaraghavan K

I suppose you could say that Dataguard offers potentially better protection, such as in max-protection mode where every transaction is commit-ed to both databases before returning. DG also has features for graceful switching of roles.

Talking Apples and Oranges?

The "difference" is that Dataguard is the "program" used to maintain (administrate) and operate a physical and/or logical standby database. Like asking what is the difference between an instance and a database?
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by LKBrwn_DBA View Post
    The "difference" is that Dataguard is the "program" used to maintain (administrate) and operate a physical and/or logical standby database. Like asking what is the difference between an instance and a database?
    no, thats dataguard manager

they are the same thing - dataguard is just a marketing term or standby databases

Cool Maybe, maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by davey23uk View Post
    no, thats dataguard manager

they are the same thing - dataguard is just a marketing term or standby databases
    Maybe marketing uses the term for standby databases, but this quote from the fine Oracle® Data Guard Concepts and Administration manual clearly refers to dataguard as a "process" or "set of services" which require some specific "architecture":
    Oracle Data Guard ensures high availability, data protection, and disaster recovery for enterprise data. Data Guard provides a comprehensive set of services that create, maintain, manage, and monitor one or more standby databases to enable production Oracle databases to survive disasters and data corruptions. Data Guard maintains these standby databases as transactionally consistent copies of the production database.

There is no "Dataguard Manager" but rather a "Data Guard broker" which is a distributed management framework that automates the creation, maintenance, and monitoring of Data Guard configurations.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb