DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ORA 14401: inserted partition key is outside specified partition

ORA 14401: inserted partition key is outside specified partition

I am having a probvlem with my partitioning key. I was able to create my partition, but when i try and insert data into that partition i keep getting this error. ORA-14401: inserted partition key is outside specified partition.
    There are other partitions after this one. SO i am afraid to just delete it and try to use that same number because it will then not be recognized. What is the best alternative?

When you create partitions, you should always have an other partition. So any row that does not fit into a given partition will go there. You can then look to see which rows are showing up there and try to figure out why.

Speaking of why, for anyone else to know why you are getting the ORA-14401 error you need to provide the ddl for creating the table and an example of an insert that does not work.

Worst case scenario, hash partitioning usually works well,
    and every non null/empty value will probably hash to something useful.

Is that a range partitioned table with more than one column on partition key?

If yes... be sure there is a maxvalue partition, also review partitioning strategy at partition-key level, most probably there is a range of values not taked into consideration.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Yes i am using a range partition with two columns (LOB's). I am new at this DBA so you have to bare with me. The partition MaxValue is set correctly. I would run inserts on other partitions and they work. It's just that partition having problems. Can the tablespace have an issue with it reading wrong? There are three tablspaces on the partition (data, lob, index).

Quote Originally Posted by 77Bear View Post
    range partition with two columns (LOB's)
    I'm pretty sure LOB columns are not part of the partitioning key.

Can the tablespace have an issue with it reading wrong?
    You would be getting a very different error message if the issue were data corruption related.

There are three tablspaces on the partition (data, lob, index).
    mmhhh... statement as written really doesn't make any sense. Could you please rephrase it?

Why don't you post table structure showing partitioning strategy as well as copy/paste actual error stack? please also include which values on partition key columns are returning the error.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.