DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle Installation planning for future Upgrades

I am going to install Oracle 8.1.5 on a new server. My customers want to be with 8.1.5 for the time being and then upgrade later to 8.1.6 or 8.1.7

My question is what needs to be considered when I am installing Oracle. Because this is the first installation on that server, it will be a new Oracle_base and new Oracle_home so there won't be any problem. But I am thinking about future upgrades to 8.1.6, 8.1.7 (or 9i) --

Is there any precation I should use selecting my device paths so that future upgrades don't conflict....for example I can install the "JRE" in the default directory or some other place.

When I upgrade to 8.1.6 in future, can I use the same oracle_home (oracle\ora81) so that it upgrades the underlying files or I must choose a new Home (like \oracle\ora816) and it will create a new set of diretories (like \oracle\ora816\bin etc.)

What kind of standards do you follow while selecting directory structures for Oracle while keeping in mind the future upgrades.

Thanks,

- Rajeev

I like to keep the same ORACLE_BASE directory, but put the new software in it's own prod/xxx directory.

For example, in an 8.1.5 / 8.1.7 mixed environment, I make /u01/orasoft my ORACLE_BASE directory. Then, I install the 8.1.5 software in $ORACLE_BASE/product/815 and the 8.1.7 software in $ORACLE_BASE/product/817.

Jeff Hunter

I think the Oracle Migration Guide recommends installing into a separate ORACLE_HOME, which if OFA-compliant, would use the same ORACLE_BASE. If you want to use the same ORACLE_HOME, I think you have to uninstall the 815 and then install the 816/817/etc.

Talking

I have Installed 8.1.7 Over 8.1.5 in the same Home on Windows 2000 , everything ran very smooth ,, you will need also to run certain upgrade script for every database from the server manager.

Leave a partition for Oracle software only , make the partition not less than 4 G for Oracle Software Itself , If possible put database on physically separated hard disk.
    Hisham Nagia
    IT Manager For Development
    Oracle Consultant - OCP