DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle Listener Error

Oracle Listener Error

I am running an LMS with a web server and a database server. Oracle is obiously running on the database server. Here's what's happening.

Using Enterprise Manager (on the Oracle server), it states that the database is up. It also shows that the Listener is up and running correctly. When I run a listener check using Oracle Net Manager, the test runs as successful.

However, from the web server, when I used the Oracle Enterprise Manager Client edition, I cannot access that database. I receive the ORA-12514 error ("The listener does not currently know of the service requested").

There is connectivity between the two servers and the web server's Enterprise Manager Client can "see" the database, I just can't open it from the web server.

Soooo... the database server says the database and listener are fine, but the web server says the listener on for the database can't see it.

Any ideas on where to check? Thanks!

Steve M.

oerr ora 12514
    12514, 00000, "TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor"
    // *Cause: The listener received a request to establish a connection to a
    // database or other service. The connect descriptor received by the listener
    // specified a service name for a service (usually a database service)
    // that either has not yet dynamically registered with the listener or has
    // not been statically configured for the listener. This may be a temporary
    // condition such as after the listener has started, but before the database
    // instance has registered with the listener.
    // *Action:
    // - Wait a moment and try to connect a second time.
    // - Check which services are currently known by the listener by executing:
    // lsnrctl services
    // - Check that the SERVICE_NAME parameter in the connect descriptor of the
    // net service name used specifies a service known by the listener.
    // - If an easy connect naming connect identifier was used, check that
    // the service name specified is a service known by the listener.
    // - Check for an event in the listener.log file.
    Last edited by PAVB; 08-07-2009 at 04:05 PM.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Paul,

Thanks for replying. I saw the same thing (requested resolutions) online when I searched the error code. Unfortunately, I had already attempted those steps (the ones that were applicable)... and had negative results. That's when I decided to post here.

Thanks again for the help, though!!

Steve M.

Hi Steve,

Insert the below lines in the top of your web server tnsnames.ora file. I too had a similar problem few days back and resolved in this way.

I presume you have already set SERVICE_NAMES & LOCAL_LISTENER values in the Database.

LISTENER =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = xxxxxxxxxx)(PORT = 1521))

Thanks,
    Vijay Tummala

Try hard to get what you like OR you will be forced to like what you get.