export / import issues
I am in the process of migrating a database from characterset we8mswin1252 to al32utf8. I ran the csscan and the report shows no lossy database but truncation and convertable data. This means that I need to do a full export change the column lengths, then migrate the db to al32utf8, then re-import.
Before I import, I need to truncate or delete all the data. I am afraid that I will be hit with all kind of constraint issues. I am not too familiar with the new impdb expdb commands. What is my best approach ?
It would be a good idea to create a blank database with al32utf8 characterset and do a import in this new database.
For faster import process you may try:
Originally Posted by pascal01
- Script all indexes, PKs and other constraints in your target database.
- Drop all indexes, PKs and other constraints -keep only flat empty tables in your target database.
- Import with indexes=N constraints=N ignore=Y options
- Check import log, when flawless go ahead
- Build/create indexes, Pks and other constraints using script from step #1
- Gather fresh stats
Hope this helps.
Pablo (Paul) Berzukov
Author of Understanding Database Administration
available at amazon and other bookstores.
Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width