DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: export / import issues

Question export / import issues

I am in the process of migrating a database from characterset we8mswin1252 to al32utf8. I ran the csscan and the report shows no lossy database but truncation and convertable data. This means that I need to do a full export change the column lengths, then migrate the db to al32utf8, then re-import.
    Before I import, I need to truncate or delete all the data. I am afraid that I will be hit with all kind of constraint issues. I am not too familiar with the new impdb expdb commands. What is my best approach ?

It would be a good idea to create a blank database with al32utf8 characterset and do a import in this new database.

http://oracleapps11idba.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by pascal01 View Post
    Before I import, I need to truncate or delete all the data. I am afraid that I will be hit with all kind of constraint issues.
    For faster import process you may try:
    - Script all indexes, PKs and other constraints in your target database.
    - Drop all indexes, PKs and other constraints -keep only flat empty tables in your target database.
    - Import with indexes=N constraints=N ignore=Y options
    - Check import log, when flawless go ahead
    - Build/create indexes, Pks and other constraints using script from step #1
    - Gather fresh stats

Hope this helps.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.