what size of db_block_size should I use when building a datawarehouse db?
DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: what size of db_block_size should I use when building a datawarehouse db?

what size of db_block_size should I use when building a datawarehouse db?

Hi,
    I'm new to data warehouse db. The current data warehouse db size is 300gig which has the db block size of 4kb which I think it is small and not sure why the privious dba build the small size of the db. I got assign to build the new datawarehouse db which I'm not sure should I build with 8kb or 16k block size based on the size of 300gig+ db so I can export the current db and import to the new db.
    Any suggestion is greatly appreciate it.

Trina

Cool 16k

16k block size seems ok.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb

Platform?... can't you go for 32K?
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

These are main principles when deciding the db block size

If the rows are small and access to the rows are random , then choose a smaller block size.
    If the rows are small and access is sequential, then choose a larger block size.
    If the rows are small and access is both random and sequential, then it might be effective to choose a larger block size.
    If the rows are large, such as rows containing large object (LOB) data, then choose a larger block size.

the platform is aix 5.3

Quote Originally Posted by metinergoktas View Post
    These are main principles when deciding the db block size

If the rows are small and access to the rows are random , then choose a smaller block size.
    If the rows are small and access is sequential, then choose a larger block size.
    If the rows are small and access is both random and sequential, then it might be effective to choose a larger block size.
    If the rows are large, such as rows containing large object (LOB) data, then choose a larger block size.

... true but, poster already said it - it's a Data Warehouse.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

I found some info on google website regardinng to db block size and thought to share with everyone.

Oracle Database 10g Performance Tuning Tips and Techniques
    -- as a rule of thumb, a DW should use the maximum block size available for your platform (either 16k or 32kb), while a transaction procesing system should use an 8kb block size.

Quote Originally Posted by Trina View Post
    I found some info on google website regardinng to db block size and thought to share with everyone.

Oracle Database 10g Performance Tuning Tips and Techniques
    -- as a rule of thumb, a DW should use the maximum block size available for your platform (either 16k or 32kb), while a transaction procesing system should use an 8kb block size.
    Well... if you look at the answers to your post you may be surprised that's exactly what everybody here was telling you.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Smile

I want to thank all of you providing me suggestion of what db block size to use. Have a great day.

Trina