DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: backup oracle system files

Hybrid View

backup oracle system files

Hello Everybody ~~

I would like to derive the backup/restore procedure before a datafile resizing. Cos the size of the whole DB is quite large (>2T).
    Any ideas for only DB datafile recovery if the resizing got problem. i know that the "alter datafile .. resize.." is quite safe but really wanna have a backup plan.

I have think about several approach:

1. Cold backup --> too large and time consuming for recover

2. imp/exp --> too many objects --> time consuming

3. Tablespace point in time recovery --> too complicated

Any other ideas and suggestions >??>

Thanks so much for all of your help !!@

What's your current backup/recovery strategy?
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Cool Rman

Try RMAN full backup with compress option. 10g is slow, but 11g is outstanding performance.

PS: Don't forget the archive logs.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb

Currently, the production DB is in noarchivelog mode. As this DB is as a data warehouse purpose, the spaces for archive log is too demanding. We have schedule cold backup monthly.

Any ideas? it may not be a official or normal path but just for a references.

wow! ... is business Okay with the fact a whole month of ETL would have to be redone in case something happens?

also... not following the "too demanding" reference to archivelog space.

finally, the answer to your question is enbedded in your post; in the described scenario only alternative is cold backup.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

HEy~~ another idea is to
    1. Turn on archivelog
    2. offline all the tblsp, then backup the system tblsp, the aux tblsp, archivelogs and the to be resized tblsp
    3. perform resize
    4. shutdown
    5. Restore all backed up tblsp at step 2.
    6. startup db
    7. Online all tblsp

its just resizing a datafile - just get on with it