DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Procedure execution doubt

Procedure execution doubt

how to accept values from the user when i'm executing the procedure.

for eg:
    if user selects a value of 1 from the given menu, procedure has to accept five values(input), if user selects the choice of 2 the procedure should accept two values. how to achieve this... ??

well what are the users seeing on their screen?

sqlplus?
    some web app?

what?

thanks for replying dave....

its sqlplus ...

Thumbs down Bad, bad, ...., and bad.

Regular users should not be using sqlplus, but rather some other user interface. If there is none, you should develop maybe a quick APEX application or such.

If these are "power" users, they should already know how to code sqlplus parameters and variables.

Anyway you should maybe read about sqlplus variables in the fine Oracle SQL*PlusĀ® User's Guide and Reference.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb

thanx for your reply guys, i'm developing one student project which does not involves any applications, i'm not using forms or any API, just we are using plain plsql packages and procedures to brief our students.

We are doing a simple bank project
    where we have modules viz., withdraw,deposit,account opening, and so on.

I wrote individual procedures for all these modules, but then i need to prompt users for giving inputs.

for eg, in one module we will have all the menus

like 1. account opening

2. withdraw

3. deposit and so on..

so when the users selects 1 from the menu it would execute account opening procedure which in turn would have to accept some values during execution from the user, for eg Execute withdraw; it should accept two values account number and amount, and all this should go on without user intervention. in other words the user is permitted to enter values and get the respective output. looking forward for your inputs!! thanks in advance.

You might be able to use access to call the pl/sql code.

Talking Great!

Quote Originally Posted by gandolf989 View Post
    You might be able to use access to call the pl/sql code.
    Good idea! Reminded me of some quick "Access" front-end we developed some years ago...
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb