DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catalog command??

Thumbs up Catalog command??

Is there any command similar to catalog a file when not using control file...i mean will the catalog command work if we donot have catalog database configured...

So this is an rman question? Whether or not you use a repository for rman, backup information gets kept in the control file. The amount of information depends the setting of control_file_record_keep_time in the database.

Angry

Well i think the question was totally misunderstood by you...My question was purely RMAN question..well let me ask it again

While we are using catalog database we can use catalog command to register a file into RMAN catalog.

My question is wheteher there is similar way to register the files into control file.
    Well say suppose the file is backup of archivelog taken by rman.How to register it??????????????

Another way to catalog in rman is use crosscheck.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohith123 View Post
    Well i think the question was totally misunderstood by you...My question was purely RMAN question..well let me ask it again

While we are using catalog database we can use catalog command to register a file into RMAN catalog.

My question is wheteher there is similar way to register the files into control file.
    Well say suppose the file is backup of archivelog taken by rman.How to register it??????????????
    While crosscheck will check to see which backups are still available, what files exactly do you want to register into the RMAN catalog? You still leave me with the impression that you don't yet completely understand RMAN.

yes .. u can use catalog command without catalog database and with controlfile only

Well gandolf theres no point in arguing whether i know rman or not....I am 100% sure and with confidence i say that you havent understood my question....I will explain once again

I have backup of archive log taken by rman and say that its name is rman_arch_back*
    ad say i took it on 1st of June.I am not using Recovery catalog...

Suppose on July 1st i want to recover database till June 1st 2:00PM then i need to restore 30th May backup so the control file restored will be of 30th>Now i need to register rman_arch_back* to recover till June 1st 2:00PM .....how can be this done..???

with the alter database register logfile command, although dont even need to do that, you just specify the file to recover - basic recovery techniques

Smile

Even i know that you can register a single archive log file by the command which you mentioned but what i am asking is how to register a file if it is backup of achivelog taken by RMAN...i hope you are able to get what i am trying to convey....

hanji this will work..
    Actually u r confusing the "catalog" word in the command with recovery catalog.
    U r probably thinking that the when we r cataloging an OS backed datafile or archivelog, then we must have recovery catalog. But this is not the case. When we catalog a datafile or archivelog, then such information is first stored in controlfile and is then propagated to recovery catalog.

I suppose that I have got ur question rightly.
    lucky